The Swan during the Covid-19 outbreak
We will be updating this page as when we have new information. As everyone knows, the situation is changing quickly so please come back regularly. Our aim is to keep everyone as safe as possible. Your help and understanding is appreciated.
Friday 29th May
The Swan is offering an off-sales facility each Friday evening between 6pm and 8pm. We will be offering a range of beers, wines and soft drinks that regulars will be very familiar with.
All drinks will be served from the side hatch towards The Courtyard and will be paid using contactless facilities. Volunteers will be manning the bar and will have the necessary PPE.
The Courtyard will be marked out to allow people to observe social distancing. We must emphasise that there is no eating or drinking within The Courtyard, you must take it home.
Please see our off-sales page for more details.
Friday 1st May
With The Swan closed for business for 6 weeks we have had no income for this time yet still have significant outgoings. Triodos bank has generously given us a mortgage holiday but we still have the interest to pay. Sadly utility bills etc also do not go away.
We have established a PayPal account to enable us to receive donations which was first used very successfully for our recent Bingo Night. Players were invited to make a voluntary donation in lieu of a fee to join the game. We raised £305 on the night!
If you are able and willing to make a donation at this time, perhaps equivalent to the price of a pint or a round that you would have bought had we been open, any support will be greatly appreciated. The process is simple via PayPal.
Sincere thanks to everyone who bought gift vouchers under the ‘Save Pub Life’ scheme. Such was the level of support that we have reached our target of £1,000 which will be matched by Budweiser. Vouchers can still be purchased but will not increase the amount of match funding.
Saturday 18th April
The Swan remains shut at the moment. On a regular basis we do have people going in to clean the beer lines, check the security, ensure the buildings are watertight, and to water the plants in the Courtyard (that were donated). These people all follow the government guidelines.
Starting last week, we have introduced online activities to bring the community together. We've started online bingo and will be introducing a quiz too. These will alternate on a Tuesday night at 8pm. Please watch out on our regular emails and social media for further information. Please check out our Events page.
Welcome to our online Swan!
Tuesday 24th March
Following the UK Government's announcement last night, we just like to confirm that The Swan is now closed for all activities. This now includes all of the refurbishment work of the Weekday Warriors too.
Whilst the gates and doors are locked, we would like to advise that security and alarm systems are fully functional. Also the building is being monitored remotely. However, we do ask our neighbours to report any suspicious activity. Thank you in advance.
We do advise all supporters, volunteers and staff to follow the advice of the UK Government and stay in doors. Also, please support our key workers and the rest of our community by keeping them safe.
Sunday 22nd March
We've now closed The Swan as a pub following the Government's announcement on Friday 20th, perhaps for 3-4 months. The Green Room School have already closed activities at the Swan for the time being.
That puts our business at risk which we are trying to mitigate:
- All of our staff are now on unpaid leave (they should be able to benefit from the newly announced Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme).
- Take advantage of a mortgage holiday offered by Triodos Bank.
- Stop all refurbishment expenditure (including the kitchen).
Decisions going forward in these uncertain days ahead will be based on our core values of community, inclusivity, sustainability and responsibility. We know that the community togetherness that you’ve created will pull us through the tough time ahead.
Update on Friday 20th March
We want everyone to be as safe as possible. On coming to the pub, we therefore ask:
- Do stay at home if you have any symptoms.
- Do take our quick temperature test.
- Do wash your hands regularly.
- Do avoid touching your face.
- Do practice social distancing.
- Do respect the bar staff & needs of others.
We have made further alterations to the pub to create more space. The bar stools and pews have been removed for now and the number of tables and chairs reduced. The Courtyard and Coach House are available for use.
Update on Thursday 19th March
Temperature testing started last evening when the bar opened at 4pm. Customers all approved and whole heartedly supported the move. Thankfully all tested with a temperature less than 37.5°C. We continue to review daily and will update immediately should there be any changes.
We do advise that everyone takes heed of the advice of the relevant authorities. Please stay safe!
Photos by our professional photographer - Doug Seeburg - who is a Swan supporter and volunteer too.
Wednesday 18th March
Given the recent advice from the government and the World Health Organisation, we’'d like to let you know how we are adapting to the current situation here at The Swan. We are remaining open. However, we want to give you a place you can come to connect with people responsibly.
The following measures will be in place from Wednesday 18th March…
- We are cancelling all our events (eg this week there will be no quiz, bingo or Green Canteen).
- The cleaning routine at the Swan has been upped to half hourly cleaning/spraying of all touchpoints (door handles, tables, toilet areas). With a thorough daily clean as usual.
- The staff will be washing their hands more regularly than usual and we politely request you all to do the same. (hot water, soap and hand dryers will always be available).
- We will be taking everyone's temperature on arrival (with a ‘no touch’ temperature gun). If you have a temperature over 37.5°C, you will be asked to leave the bar area and advised to go home.
- If you have a repeated cough, you will also be asked to leave the bar area.
- We are now card only, to stop the handling of cash.
- We are removing some of our furniture to ensure you have enough space to feel comfortable.
- We will be maximising the space we have in our courtyard with the tables, standing areas, lighting and umbrellas. We know the courtyard is a lovely space in the summer, we will try and make it as agreeable as possible in Spring.
- Our daily drinks offers will continue and we will be offering 'take outs'. Don't forget we have an extensive range of bottled and canned beer (including some fantastic craft beer) that are available for take away to enjoy at home.
- Our daytime opening hours will reduce to be open from 4pm 'til 11pm (Monday to Saturday) and from noon 'til 9pm on Sundays.
Please appreciate the above points are for the safety and comfort of everyone. The Green Room has been doing this on a daily basis for the last 3 weeks and it has proven to reduce anxiety and create a more comfortable environment to be in. Also handy to know your temperature!
These are uncertain times and everyone will need to do what they can to remain safe and stem the spread of this virus. During this time we will also do whatever we can to remain true to being a community hub. If you know someone who is struggling to get provisions, walk the dog, look after the children, or anything else...please send an Instant Message to our Facebook Group and we will try to help. Even if we are being forced into isolation, we will still need to remain strong as a community and support one another.
We will keep you regularly updated as usual through our mailing list and social media channels. If you have any suggestions, please let us know.
All the very best,
Will and Richard